Cookie usage policy

The website of the University Carlos III of Madrid use its own cookies and third-party cookies to improve our services by analyzing their browsing habits. By continuing navigation, we understand that it accepts our cookie policy. "Usage rules"

Healthcare and special needs

Imagen de la Tarjeta Sanitaria Europea

If you’re a student from another European Union country, the only thing you’ll need is a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which provides healthcare cover when travelling for education, work or tourism, including urgent medical attention nationwide. If you still don’t have one, you can apply for one using this link. It’s free and is valid for 2 years.

With an EHIC, you can use any medical centre or hospital, just like a resident can. However, keep in mind that this card covers medical expenses incurred during your stay and not before your trip. 

You can always receive direct primary care at any ‘centro de salud’, or health centre. When you need it, request a prior appointment online, by phone or in person. You’ll find all the information you need to request an appointment here. But if what you need is urgent medical attention, you can go directly to any ‘Sevicio de Urgencias’, or accident and emergency department, at a public hospital or health centre where you will be given emergency care. 

You’ll find additional useful information about healthcare and emergencies using this link.

In terms of other aspects related to health and wellbeing for young people, such as HIV, addiction prevention, risks associated with drugs such as cannabis or eating disorders, visit this page by the Community of Madrid.

You can download the Guide on food allergies. And, in case you need it, here’s some general information on the Addiction Prevention Service.

At a Municipal Youth Health Centre, you will receive free care relating to: sexual and reproductive health, advice on sex, advice on drugs, mistreatment and abuse, health education, etc.

If you’re over the age of 20, you can also use the network of 16 ‘Centros Municipales de Salud Comunitaria’ or Municipal Community Health Centres.

Lastly, here’s a Directory for health-related resources that can be found in Getafe


If you’re a student with Special Needs, you’ll find Madrid an accessible city. Have a look at this page from the City Council where you’ll find: guided tour programmes, tourist maps, tour guides, accommodation, transport and other links related to accessibility. 

The Student Guidance department at UC3M provides you with the Tutoring Programme for Students with Disabilities.Read through its links of interest on technical assistance and support products, documents, employment, mobility and transport, resources and more websites of interest.