Cookie usage policy

The website of the University Carlos III of Madrid use its own cookies and third-party cookies to improve our services by analyzing their browsing habits. By continuing navigation, we understand that it accepts our cookie policy. "Usage rules"

Frequently-Asked Questions

Vista de pájaro de exteriores de Getafe

1 - What is the Free Mover program and is it necessary for my university to have an agreement with UC3M?

This is an International Mobility Program for undergraduate students who want to spend a semester or a full year at UC3M.
It is not necessary to have any type of agreement between universities.

2 - On which dates do the semesters begin?

The academic year consists of 2 semesters.

  1. September to January (international students may move forward their final exams to December in order to finish in that month),
  2. February to June. (See the academic calendar)

3 - What subjects will I be able to study?

You will be able to combine subjects from different degrees, at your choice, depending on the vacancies offered.

There are 2 areas of knowledge. Each one includes a series of undergraduate studies and when you enroll in the Free Mover program, you have to choose 1 or 2 areas of knowledge.

You will also have access to the Study Abroad Program and Hispanic Studies Courses.

4 - How can I enroll in more than one area of knowledge?

You can enroll up to 2 areas of knowledge.

  • In this case you will have to make an additional enrollment with your second choice.

In case you want to add an additional knowledge area after the application deadline, please contact us at

5 - What do I need to be accepted into this program?

You must be a university student and have a minimum level of B2 in the language in which you are going to take the courses.

6 - Do I need an official language certificate?

No. You do not need an official language certificate.

If you do not have an official certificate, you can fill out the following rpersonal declaration of having a sufficient level of language level

7 - Can I access the Free Mover Program if I am not currently enrolled in a university?

Yes you can, since the only requirement is that you are a university student.
Admission is processed directly between the student and UC3M.

8 - How do I apply for the program?

You must apply online by following the steps on the website (see here).

  • The registration period opens several months before the beginning of each term.
  • Updated dates are published on the website.
  • The documents requested must be official and in Spanish or English.

9 - I have made an on-line application, but I have not attached all the necessary documentation. Can I correct it?

You will be able to access your application again with your username and password as many times as you wish to attach the necessary documents.

10 - How soon will I know if I have been admitted?

The expected waiting time is about 3 weeks.
If your application is incomplete, we will notify you so that you can upload the required documents.

11 - What do I have to do to confirm my place and get my admission letter?

Once admitted we will notify you by email and send you instructions to pay a reservation fee.

This reservation will be deducted from the total tuition fees.

Once we receive the reservation payment we will send you the admission letter.

12 - If I decide to cancel my Free Mover program, am I allowed to ask for a refund of the reservation fee?

The reservation fee is refundable only if the cancellation of the program has been made by Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.

13 - When will I be able to choose and register my courses?

During the months before the beginning of the course you will be able to access the enrollment platform to see the available courses and places, groups, schedules, etc.

The choice of subjects will be made online a few days before the start of classes.

14 - Is it guaranteed that I can enroll in all the courses I need?

You should have a flexible study plan and have alternatives since, although the offer of courses and groups is wide, there may be cases in which some groups fill up.

15 - How many ECTS credits can I register for?

You can enroll between 6 and 30 ECTS credits per semester.

In case you need to apply for a visa to study in Spain, the Spanish Government requires students to take their course full time.
For this reason, you must take a minimum of 18 ECTS per semester.

16 - Once I have registered my courses, can I make changes?

Yes, enrollment remains open for several days at the beginning of the term.

  • During this period you will be able to make changes, either adding or deleting subjects.
  • After the deadline stipulated on the website, no changes can be made.


17 - How much does the Free Mover program cost?

The price for each ECTS credit enrolled is 130 euros, both for European and non-European students.  
The tuition fee will therefore depend on the number of credits enrolled.

For example, a 6-credit course would cost 780 euros. 

18 - When will I pay my tuition fees?

About 3 weeks after the beginning of the semester.
We will inform you by email.

19 - What are the accepted payment methods?

It is done by a single payment through a secure online TPV platform with credit or debit card (Visa or Mastercard).

In case you have any problem paying online by credit or debit card, you can pay the enrollment fee in cash at any Banco Santander or Bankia / Caixabank office, using a document that we will provide you with.

20 - If I decide to cancel my Free Mover program, can I request a refund of my tuition fees?

Tuition fees are not refunded if the cancellation of the program happens for reasons beyond the control of Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.

21 - Will I receive a certificate at the end of my studies?

Yes, once the semester is over, you will receive instructions to download the transcript with an electronic signature from the UC3M E-Office.

  • You will have to pay a small fee to obtain it.
  • If your stay as a Free Mover has been organized through a university with a Free Mover agreement, we will provide the certificate directly to your university.

22 - How can I transfer credits from my home university?

You will have to ask your university about these formalities.

  • Normally the transcript is sufficient for the recognition of the credits passed.
  • If you need to provide the syllabus for each subject, you can download all the information on the website.

23 - Will this program help me to be admitted to the university and finish my studies at UC3M?

The Free Mover program does not give you the right to be admitted into the university after its completion.

If you would like to be admitted you would have to go through the different international student admission channels or through the transfer of your transcript.

24 - Is there any financial aid or scholarship for international students?

UC3M does not currently provide any financial aid for this program.

25 - How early should I arrive at the university before classes start?

We recommend that you arrive at least one week before the start of the course in order to be well prepared and to be able to attend the welcome days that the Carlos III International School organizes.


26 - Does the university provide accommodation?

The university has three fully equipped student residences next to the campuses, where you can apply for a place.

(See here) the numerous housing options.

27 - Is accommodation included in the program price? 

Housing is not included in the price of the program.

28 - Do I need to have a health insurance or is it provided by the university?

If you are a European student you will need a European health card to have medical coverage.

If you are a non-European student, it is essential that you take out health insurance with the company of your choice.

29 - What support will I have during my stay at UC3M?

  • Before your arrival, you will be able to enroll in the Buddy Program and we will put you in contact with international and undergraduate students at UC3M.
  • For academic matters, you will have the support of our academic advisors for international students. (you will be able to request tutoring from your professors)
  • For administrative matters, you will have the staff of the Student Office of the Carlos III International School at your disposal.

30 - What is the teaching model of the course?

The teaching model of Universidad Carlos III de Madrid is mostly classroom-based, with the exception of some cross-disciplinary subjects that are offered in a hybrid or mixed format combining online and classroom teaching.

Consult the teaching model here


31 - Can I change the dates of my final exams?

It is possible to change the date of the exam only if there is more than 1 exam on the same day.
In order to do so, the professor must be informed well in advance.

  • In the first semester (fall), international students may bring their final exams forward to December in order to finish in that month.
  • In the second semester (spring), there is no possibility to advance the exams. 

32 - Is it possible to take the exams remotely?

No, the exams will be taken exclusively in person. 

Your teachers will be able to answer any questions you may have about the evaluation system.

33 - Will I have a student card?

The university makes available to all students the University Smart Card (TUI) downloadable in digital version for your mobile phone.