Bachelor's Degree in Audiovisual System Engineering
- School of Engineering
- 4 years (240 credits)
- Degree Program Location
- Learning Mode
- Bilingual, Spanish
This Degree prepare for Telecommunications Technical Engineer with specialization in Sound and Image.
- International accreditation
Any question? Please, contact us
The degree in Audiovisual Systems Engineering is the reference degree for the development of multimedia services in communication networks, for the processing, recording, playback and signal conditioning of audio and video information, as well as the acoustic design of enclosures. Technologies related to audio, image and video are playing a prominent role in our society since many years ago. However, in recent years these technologies have further increased their ubiquity, mainly due to the latest digital formats and the wide accessibility of telecommunications through devices such as smartphones and tablets, smart watches, augmented reality glasses or even wearable devices such as smart bracelets and fitness bands. As a result, qualified audiovisual engineers mastering networks, audiovisual services and applications adapted to the Information Society by using the latest technologies are more and more demanded by the professional fabric. Our degree in Audiovisual Systems Engineering is fully developed to currently offer the best training in related branches of audio, image and video technologies and providing a sound technical and technological knowledge and at the same time the required leadership skills for managing teams and projects. It is not surprising that this profile is one of the most demanded by students entering the university studies. This is why the contents of this degree have been conceived and designed to meet the current market needs for both knowledge and practical skills and include, besides a classical training in audio and image technologies (electronics, electroacoustic technologies, etc.) aspects for advanced multimedia formats, for processing and transmission of multimedia information and related to the acquisition of a deep knowledge of acoustics and noise control. The speed at which technology evolves indicates an expectation of an increasing need for skilled professionals in Audiovisual Systems. The high rates of employment of our graduates near 100% in recent years endorse and demonstrate these facts.
The Carlos III University of Madrid is committed to making this degree in Audiovisual Systems Engineering a benchmark nationally. For this, it was the first Spanish university in its transformation to a four-year degree, as proposed for the European Higher Education Area ("Bologna") model, focusing on a more general training to facilitate the further professional development of future graduates and in the training of students in transferable skills such as learning ability and teamwork. Moreover, it was the first Spanish university to obtain the EUR-ACE label for some of its degrees in telecommunications, which opens up new opportunities for our graduates for training and employment in Europe and elsewhere. This has resulted in having the best students.
The commitment to the training of our students has led us to sign cooperation agreements with leading companies in the industry and provide our students with a framework in which they can perform business practices, facilitating their employment in the best conditions. In addition, the Carlos III University of Madrid is committed to facilitating conditions for their students to make mobility both at European and international levels, as evidenced by its position as the Spanish university with most Erasmus mobility last year.
Therefore, we believe that studying the degree in Audiovisual Systems Engineering at the Carlos III University of Madrid is the best option for those looking for an up-to-date, quality training, aimed at the professional training of our students, internationally open, recognized by the best quality labels and endorsed by the market with employment rates close to 100%.
In summary, the Bachelor’s Degree in Audiovisual Systems Engineering of the University Carlos III of Madrid presents the following main features:
- 4-year education, taking 240 credits.
- Possibility of choosing English/Spanish bilingual education, which can facilitate access to the international market and, in general, to national and international companies.
- High employment rates close to 100%.
- Internationalization, as it is a degree that is adapted to the European Higher Education Area (EHEA).
- Degree based on continuous assessment. Greater importance is given to the student's efforts throughout active involvement in classes, preparing papers and completing exercises and practical tasks.
- Large practical component. This Degree has specialist laboratories in networks, services and multimedia applications, and the experimentation is very carefully considered in the design of each subject.
- Possibility of internships in the best companies.
- Possibility of studying abroad. Currently there are agreements with multiple international universities.
- Dedicated teachers, with extensive experience in continuous contact with the student. This degree is taught by highly qualified teachers who move to teaching, its experience in work with companies of the sector and from its own research, giving a current, real vision and practice knowledge.
- This degree gives access to Masters with professional functions, as the Master in Telecommunication Engineering, as a single degree or in combination with other Master programmes as a double degree.
Prof. Dr. Celeste Campo, Director of Audiovisual System Engineering
- Study program
Course 1 - Semester 1
General subjects Subjects ECTS TYPE Language Calculus I 6 BC Information Skills 3 BC Linear Algebra 6 BC Physics 6 BC Programming 6 BC Writing and communication skills 3 BC
Course 2 - Semester 1
General subjects Subjects ECTS TYPE Language Advanced Mathematics 6 BC Systems Architecture 6 C Access networks and shared media 6 C Electronic components and circuits 6 BC Linear Systems 6 BC
Course 3 - Semester 1
General subjects Subjects ECTS TYPE Language Electronics power systems 6 C Skills: Humanities 6 C Modern theory of detection and estimation 6 C Multimedia Networks 6 C Video Engineering 6 C
Course 4 - Semester 1
General subjects Subjects ECTS TYPE Language Acoustical instrumentation and noise control 6 C Audiovisual Services 6 C Digital audio processing 6 C Telecommunication Systems 6 C Telecommunications legislation and policy 6 C
Course 4 - Semester 2
General subjects Subjects ECTS TYPE Language Introduction to business management 6 BC Mobile Applications 6 C Bachelor Thesis 12 BT Students must take 6 credits of electives. They can choose 'Professional Internships' (6 credits) or two 3-credits courses (one of each option A). Electives Option A2 - choose 3 credits Algorithms for multimedia information management 3 E Audio Engineering 3 E Introduction 3D Modeling Techniques 3 E Introduction to Game Development 3 E Room Acoustics 3 E Web Applications 3 E Electives Option A1 - choose 3 credits Displays Technologies 3 E Mobile audiovisual services 3 E Speech technologies and spoken man-machine interfaces 3 E Electives Option B - choose 6 credits Professional Internships 6 E
* The third-year elective courses can't be recognized by cultural, sporting and charity activities.
- Exchange programs
The Erasmus programme permits UC3M first degree and post graduate students to spend one or several terms at one of the European universities with which UC3M has special agreements or take up an Erasmus Placement, that is a work placement or internship at an EU company. These exchanges are funded with Erasmus Grants which are provided by the EU and the Spanish Ministry of Education.
The non-european mobility program enables UC3M degree students to study one or several terms in one of the international universities with which the university has special agreements. It also has funding from the Banco Santander and the UC3M.
These places are offered in a public competition and are awarded to students with the best academic record and who have passed the language threshold (English, French, German etc..) requested by the university of destination.
- European mobility
- Non european mobility
Non european mobility
- Exchange programs
- Student profile
- Entry profile
The recommended entry profile is the following:
- New students must have a solid background which allows them access to the advanced knowledge in mathematics, physics and statistics required by the degree.
The following aptitudes and capabilities are desirable: a disposition for individual work, good concentration, facility for independent learning, and the ability to organize time and work, responsibility in teamwork.
- Graduate profile
The profile of the graduates of this degree is set to learning outcomes achieved in this degree, including, first, knowledge and understanding of the general fundamentals of engineering, as well as in particular those from multimedia networks, multimedia communication services, audio and video signal processing, room acoustics control, distributed multimedia systems and interactive multimedia applications in Audiovisual Systems Engineering within the family of telecommunications engineering. Graduates will be able to carry out a process of analysis to solve problems of recording, conditioning and compressing of audio and video signals, acoustic enclosure design, communication networks, services, systems and applications in Audiovisual Systems, and also be responsible for engineering design in Audiovisual Systems, working as a team.
Additionally, graduates will be able to conduct research and implementing innovative contributions in Audiovisual Systems, as for the capture, processing, adaptation, dissemination and consumption of multimedia content and well as their associated networks, services and applications, justifying the scientific interest of this degree. Finally, graduates will have jurisdiction to apply their knowledge to solve problems and designing audiovisual systems and networks, configure their devices and applications as well as deploying adaptive, personal audiovisual services, allowing the use of network intelligence elements which lead to the enhancement of the user experience, maximizing the potential of network and multimedia services in the different social and economic environments, knowing the environmental, commercial and industrial implications of engineering practice according to professional ethics; this is vital for the professional interest of the degree.
Finally, this degree provides the generic skills that graduates need in order to practice engineering in today's society as the ability to develop effective oral and written communication, working in a multidisciplinary framework and equipment and maintain professional competence through continuous learning throughout their lives.
Results of the studies
- RA1: Adquirir los conocimientos y la comprensión de los fundamentos básicos generales de la ingeniería, así como en particular, de las redes y servicios de comunicaciones multimedia, procesamiento de señales de audio y video, control de acústica de recintos, sistemas multimedia distribuidos y aplicaciones multimedia interactivas propios de la Ingeniería en Sistemas Audiovisuales dentro de la familia de las telecomunicaciones.
- RA2: Ser capaces de llevar a cabo un proceso de análisis para resolver problemas de grabación, acondicionamiento, compresión de señales de audio y video, acústica de recintos, redes, servicios, sistemas y aplicaciones en Sistemas Audiovisuales. Los egresados serán capaces de realizar la identificación del problema, el reconocimiento de las especificaciones, el establecimiento de diferentes métodos de resolución, la selección del más adecuado y su correcta implementación. Tendrán la capacidad de utilizar diverso s métodos y reconocer la importancia de las limitaciones sociales, la salud humana, la seguridad, el Medio Ambiente, así como las comerciales.
- RA3: Ser competentes para realizar diseños de ingeniería en su ámbito dentro de la Ingeniería en Sistemas Audiovisuales, trabajando en equipo. El diseño abarca dispositivos, procesos, métodos y objetos, y especificaciones más amplias que las estrictamente técnicas, lo cual incluye conciencia social, salud y seguridad, y consideraciones medioambientales y comerciales.
- RA4: Ser capaces de realizar investigación y llevar a cabo aportaciones innovadoras en el ámbito de la ingeniería en Sistemas Audiovisuales, incluyendo la búsqueda y comprensión bibliográfica así como el diseño y desarrollo de experimentos que resuelvan los retos del saber en el ámbito de los Sistemas Audiovisuales, en cuanto a la captación, procesado, adaptación, difusión y consumo de contenidos multimedia, así como de las redes, servicios y aplicaciones asociados, lo que justifica el interés científico de este Grado
- RA5: Ser competentes de aplicar los conocimientos adquiridos para resolver problemas y diseñar redes y servicios audiovisuales, configurar los dispositivos de las mismas, así como desplegar sobre ellas aplicaciones y servicios audiovisuales adaptativos, personales, llevando la inteligencia de red a la puesta en valor para el usuario, maximizando el potencial de las redes y servicios multimedia en los diferentes ámbitos sociales y económicos, conociendo las implicaciones medio ambientales, comerciales e industriales que tiene la práctica de la ingeniería de acuerdo con la ética profesional.
- RA6: Poseer fluidez en el desempeño de las capacidades genéricas que los egresados requieren para la práctica de la ingeniería en la sociedad actual, que incluye el ser capaz de desarrollar una eficaz comunicación oral y escrita, trabajar en un marco multidisciplinar y en equipo, y mantener la competencia profesional a través del aprendizaje continuo a lo largo de su vida. También incluyen el demostrar conciencia sobre la responsabilidad de la práctica de la ingeniería, el impacto social y medioambiental, y compromiso con la ética profesional, responsabilidad y normas de la práctica de la ingeniería. A su vez incluyen el tener conocimiento delas prácticas empresariales y de gestión de proyectos, así como la gestión y control de riesgos, y entender sus limitaciones
Cognitive skills (know how):
- Representation of physical magnitudes as signals
- Understanding of the notion of continuous and discrete time. Analogic and digital differences
- Knowledge and management of basic signals in order to break down and synthesise other more complex signals.
- Signal processing through systems. Interconnection and simplification Properties
- Calculation of Linear Systems response. Convolution
- Analog and digital filter types Calculation in dominion of their response time.
- Application of systems properties in order to resolve electrical circuits.
- handing of basic tools for analysing signals and systems in tranformed domains: Fourier serial development Fourier transformed, Laplace transformed and Z transformed, emphasising in its use for analysis of circuits and communications.
- Understanding and management of the sampling theorum and decimation and interpolation techniques.
- Knowledge and familiarity with the methodology of digital processing of analog signals.
- Systemisation of linear circuit analysis using mesh and node methods.
- Analysis of passive and active circuits in the transformed Laplace domain.
- Understanding of the concept of transfer function of linear, causal and stable circuits and relations bteween the response in the Laplace domain, in the frequency domain and in the temporal domain.
- Comprehension of the concept of status variable and analysis of circuits using status variables.
- Characterisation of two portal or cuadripole networks
- Power transmission Understanding of concepts of maximum power available of a real generator and conjugated adaptation. Natural and logarithmic units: Neperio and dB
- Understanding of reciprocal and symmetrical, balanced and earthed networks.
- Comprehension of the concept of synthesis.
- Conditions of feasibility of single portal or dipolar networks.
- Synthesis of single portal networks
- Conditions of feasibility of two portal or cuadripolar networks.
- Functions of characterisation of analog filters.
- Understanding of concepts of the Theory of Approach for design of analog LC filters low step.
- Frequency transformation for high stroke Transformación de frecuencias para la síntesis de filtros paso alto, paso banda y banda eliminada a partir de prototipos paso bajo.
- Comprehension of the concept of the transfer function in Z domain of digital filters of response to infinite impulse (IIR) and finite (FIR) impulse. Expression of the response in the temporal discrete domain using its differential equation. Direct architectures of digital filters
- Synthesis of digital filters
- Simulation of analogic filters using digital filters.
- Analysis of circuits in permanent and transitory regime
Procedimental/Instrumental (know how):
- Use of software for modelling and resolution of circuits.
- Manipulation of signals and simulation of systems with computer.
- Filter design.
- Calculation of powers.
- Ability to work independently and in a team
- Decision making
- Capacity for abstraction in relation to physical systems
- Ability to analyse and synthesise.
Capacity for putting knowledge into practice
- Problem solving
- Capacity for knowledge integration
- Basic general skills and knowledge
- Entry profile
- Study in english
Studies with bilingual option
In this degree, the university offers the opportunity to study in English more than half of the subjects of the studies program. Once you have been admitted, you will choose, at the time of enrollment, the language in which you will study in accordance with the following conditions:
- In groups in English, all works (classes, drills, exercises, tests, etc.) will be conducted in English.
- Along the first year, it must be established an English B2 level, performing a test, providing one of the supported official certificates or any way determined by the university. In the first weeks of the course will inform students how they can prove their level.
- The courses offered in English are in the studies program.
- In case there are more applications than places available in English, interested persons will be ranked according to their admission grade.
- If you are enrolled in English and exceed at least 50% of the credits offered at the UC3M, in the DS appear a mention of bilingual studies.
Facts about this bachelor's degree
Year of implementation: 2008
- Leganes Campus: 60
Evaluation and monitoring
Verification report (UC3M)
Verification report (ANECA)
Monitoring report (Fundación madri+d)
System of Internal Quality Assurance
Departments involved in teaching
In the Bachelor's Degree in Audiovisual System Engineering teach courses the following University departments:
- Computer Science
- Signal Theory and Communications
- Telematics Engineering
- Electronics Technology
In addition, these departments participate transversally:
Teaching staff and teaching plan